- Webb Angela, ‘Handwriting now and in the future’, in ‘Writing: Making your Mark’, Clayton Ewan (ed.), The British Library, London, 2019.
- Marion DeBoard Sarah, Kilian Shirley C., Naramor Terri L., Brown Warren S.; ‘Normal development of bimanual coordination: visuomotor and interhemispheric contributions’, in ‘Developmental Neuropsychology‘, 23:3, 399-421, 2003.
- James Karin H., ‘The importance of handwriting experience on the development of the literate brain’, published by Current Directions in Psychological Science, Volume 26, Issue 6, December 2017, pages 502-508.
- Longcamp M., Zerbato-Poudou M.T., Velay J-L., ‘The influence of writing practice on letter recognition in preschool children: a comparison between handwriting and typing’, in ‘Acta Psychologica’, May 2005.
- Nakamura K., Kuo W.J., Pegado F., Cohen L., Tzeng O.J., Dehaene S., ‘Universal brain systems for recognizing word shapes and handwriting gestures during reading’, in ‘PNAS’, December 11, 2012.
- Mueller Pam A., Oppenheimer Daniel M., ‘The pen is mightier than the keyboard: advantages of longhand over laptop note taking’, in ‘Psychological Science’, Volume 25, Issue 6, June 1, 2014, pages 1159-1168.
Available from: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0956797614524581
- Tonfoni Graziella, ‘Writing as a visual art’; Intellect Books, UK, 2000.
- Andersch Martin, ‘Symbols, signs, letters – About handwriting, experimenting with alphabets and the interpretation of texts’; Design Press, Germany, 1989.
- Clayton Ewan, ‘The Golden Thread’; Atlantic Books, UK, 2013.
- Fischer Steven R., ‘A History of Writing’; Reaktion Books Ltd., UK, 2001.
- Berninger Virginia W., Wolf Beverly J., ‘Teaching students with dyslexia and dysgraphia: lessons from teaching and science’; Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co., 2009.
- Berninger Virginia W., Winn William D., ‘Implications of advancements in brain research and technology for writing development, writing instruction and educational evolution’, in ‘Handbook of writings research’; MacArthur C.A., Graham S., Fitzgerald J. (eds.), New York 2006.
Berninger Virginia W., ‘Evidence-based, developmentally appropriate writing skills k–5: teaching the orthographic loop of working memory to write letters so developing writers can spell words and express ideas’. Presented at Handwriting in the 21st Century?: An Educational Summit, Washington, D.C., January 23, 2012.
Mangen Anne, Velay Jean-Luc, ‘Digitizing Literacy: Reflections on the Haptics of Writing’ in Advances in Haptics, Mehrdad Hosseini Zadeh (ed.), April 1, 2010.
Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/advances-in-haptics/digitizing-literacy-reflections-on-the-haptics-of-writing
James Karin H., Atwood Thea P., ‘The role of sensorimotor learning in the perception of letter-like forms: tracking the causes of neural specialization for letters’, in Cognitive Neuropsychology, February 2009.
Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02643290802425914
Longcamp M., Boucard C., Gillhodes J.C., Velay J-L., ‘Remembering the orientation of newly learned characters depends on the associated writing knowledge: a comparison between handwriting and typing’, in Human Movement Science, October 2006.
Longcamp M., Anton J.L., Roth M., Velay J-L., ‘Visual presentation of single letters activates a premotor area involved in writing’, in Neuroimage, August 2003.
Harvey C., Henderson S., ‘Children’s handwriting in the first three years of school: consistency over time and its relationship to academic achievement’, Handwriting Review, vol. 11, 1997.
Please, help us to spread the Handwriting Manifesto by sharing this site and its content.
Further information: Bibliography ∙ Privacy & Cookies Policy ∙ Credits